Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Restaurant Review: Armadillo, Gatwick Airport

Flying to Edinburgh for work the week before Christmas I left extra time at the airport thinking it would be busy, but I got there in record time, and had plenty of time to kill even before my flight was delayed by an hour and a half.

It was early in the morning so I needed breakfast and wanted to try somewhere I hadn't eaten before, and spotted Armadillo.

It styles itself as offering 'the sunshine flavours of Santa Fe' (New Mexico) ; the menu looked really good, offering everything from fruit salad or yogurt and granola to corn fritters with smashed avocado. I had the chorizo benedict (£9.95) with two poached eggs, spinach, chorizo sausage on toasted bloomer bread with chipotle hollandaise.


The sausages were on the side and I think it would have worked better with a slice of chorizo but even so it was very good, with almost perfectly poached eggs (not as good as the ones I had at the Zoetry hotel in Mexico!)

And the sauce was delicious, a bit spicy but not too much as you don't want anything too powerful before getting on a plane!

To drink I had something called armadillo juice, a blend of mango juice, passion fruit juice, lemon juice, orange juice and grenadine which was delicious and a great way to start the day.

The waitress took a little while to take my order, and in fact took the order of someone who had come in after me first - perhaps I didn't look ready! The food came very promptly though which was good even though I did have ages until my plane and the waitress was very friendly. The best part was when the bill came instead of a chocolate I got a little pot of jelly beans! I'd definitely eat at Armadillo again when I'm travelling from Gatwick.

0 comments:

Post a Comment